Friday 13 January 2012

Oman: no news is good news

So far I have posted on Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Yemen. Following the Yemen post, my attention turned to its neighbouring country, Oman. I then went about searching for Omani current affairs as normal, but rather than having to sort through pages of google links, the search results were notable in their absence.

Is Oman the new land of milk and honey? Are the Omani streets paved with gold? Or maybe the government of Oman just has fantastic censors at work? One thing is for sure, a brief scout around the main international news agencies highlights that Oman is the least talked-about country in the Arabian Peninsula, and possibly throughout the Middle East and North Africa.

The following articles are the most significant articles I can find (feel free to add some more to the comments section if you can find any more up to date features).


The BBC also reported on this on February 27 2011, Oman clashes: Two killed during protests in Gulf state 

France 24 - 25 September 2011, Oman to hold elections on October 15  (Incidentally, I could find nothing on the France24 website which reported on the actual outcome of the elections.)

CNN - November 17 2011, Oman puts women at forefront of Olympic ambitions

I find it interesting that the most recent news article featuring Oman in the international press was nearly 2 months ago. Perhaps I am a cynic, but I can't believe that Midas has high-fived the entire country. Where is the reality behind the golden facade?

If anyone can shed some light I'd love to hear their thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment